Because I only recently decided to put in text the constant BULLSHIT I go through everyday, my stories will be somewhat backdated until I catch up with the present day. I will try to remember them word for word as they happened, but if I can't, I promise that I will not embellish them in a way that makes these people sound worse than they are -- they do it quite adequately for themselves every day, I'm sure.
The most recent (and crazy) of stories happened a few weeks ago. On busy days, we open a first window at which someone sits at and takes orders through drive-thru and takes the money from the cars before sending them down. On such a day, I am flat-out at this window, in one of our busiest periods. However - I always try to maintain a happy and helpful tone, and am often told by NICE customers that I am good at my job.
On this fateful day, the beep sounds that lets me know another hungry person craving some disgusting fatty comfort food has steered their car into my life. I greet everyone the same way:
"Hi, welcome to [Fastfoodland], place your order when you're ready, thanks."
Ordinarily, I will get a hello, how are you, or good evening from a customer before they proposition me to provide them with dinner.
(On a related note - there are a number of customers that say "Hello, how are you?" and wait for you to respond before they will place their order. I understand their good intentions, but it completely throws me - I'm not used to people actually recognising me as existing beyond that of a disembodied voice in a speaker box)
Anyway, this lady, after my pleasant greeting, simply says:
"I want 10 nuggets, regular chips and a small coke"
Now, our nuggets come in packs of 9. One nugget wouldn't seem like a big deal, but if we didn't tell the customers of the difference in the number of nuggets we sell, we would definitely get customers storming up to us, spittle exploding from their mouths as they demand the nugget they believe they are missing. So - to be sure, we ALWAYS tell the customer that our nuggets come in 9 packs:
"Sorry, we actually sell our nuggets in packs of 9. Is that ok?"
The response takes me off guard:
"9 NUGGETS, 10 NUGGETS, WHAT THE HELL DO I CARE. WHATS THE DIFFERENCE?"
Well, ma'am, the difference is one nugget. BUT as a well-trained hospitality peon, I exchange exasperated looks with my fellow employees who can hear this nonsense, and continue forward:
"Ok. So I'll put your order into a meal for you. You will get 9 nuggets, a regular fries, and a REGULAR coke for cheaper than you would for it separately. Thats [price], drive down to the first window thanks."
"NO. YOU LISTEN TO ME. OK? LISTEN. I WANT NINE NUGGETS. A REGULAR FRIES. AND A SMALL COKE. OK. I DONT WANT YOUR MEAL. JUST GIVE ME WHAT I ASKED FOR."
I was completely dumbfounded, and pretty much everyone in the store was too.
"O-ok.. just.. drive down."
She drives down, throws her money in my face, and continues driving.
Her meal worked out about $2 more expensive separately, for the same thing.
I don't understand people at all.
I hate everyone.
You needs a follow gadget! =O <3
ReplyDelete